Sony and AT&T Announces Xperia Play 4G
Sony and AT&T made an exclusive partnership to unveil the Xperia Play 4G!
Just a few months after Sony’s Xperia Play hit the market, the company and AT&T announced an exclusive partnership to release the newest version of the phone — the Xperia Play 4G. The new mobile phone from Sony will feature the following:
* The Xperia™ PLAY 4G, combining a PlayStation®-certified gaming device with the capabilities and portability of an Android smartphone, arrives in AT&T stores, and online on September 18 for $49.99 with a two-year agreement.
* The Xperia PLAY 4G has dedicated gaming controls built into the phone through a slide out controller including directional keypad, dual analog touch joystick, two shoulder buttons and the four iconic PlayStation symbol keys: circle, X, square and triangle.
* Running the Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) platform, the first PlayStation-certified smartphone in the world features a brilliant 4″ 480 x 854 screen and stereo speakers.
AT&T offers the 4G-capable handset in an exclusive stealth blue color, together with bonus accessories like Sony Ericsson Multimedia Dock DK300 and MC100 music cable. Moreover, the Sony Xperia Play 4G is pre-loaded with seven games at no additional costs.
* Dungeon Defenders™ Second Wave by Trendy Entertainment
* Asphalt™ 6 Adrenaline by Gameloft
* Star Battalion by Gameloft
* Madden NFL™ 11 by Electronic Arts
* The Sims™ 3 by Electronic Arts
* Tower Bloxx™: My City by Digital Chocolate
* Crash Bandicoot® by SCEA/Naughty Dog/Universal
AT&T subscribers will have access to 150 Xperia Play optimized games via download and purchase through “Get Games,” which is available when you slide open the device’s game controller.
Other specs for Sony and AT&T’s Xperia Play 4G is as follows:
* Snapdragon chipset including a 1GHz CPU and Adreno 205 graphics processor (GPU)
* Runs on the Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) platform
* Sight and sound: 4″ 480 x 854 screen, up to 60 frames per second graphics, stereo speakers
* Dual camera: 5MP rear and VGA forward-facing, with video recording and chat capabilities over Wi-Fi
* Hundreds of Xperia PLAY optimized games through Android Market or directly from the publishers
* Pre-loaded with seven Xperia PLAY optimized games (as seen in the list above) from publishers such as Gameloft and EA.
As for the price, AT&T stated that the new mobile phone will cost $49.99. However, this move raises the question on whether PlayStation Vita is next. As the next portable gaming console will hit the shelves on early 2012 with a 3G model, will Sony launch a 4G-capable version of it afterwards? Only time will tell.View Article Source »